After giving some of my fellow mods grief about not updating their blogs (and having one call me out on it!), I really shouldn't have let this blog go un-updated for this long. Amazingly no one has said anything about it, though they probably will in this entry's comments.
There is a good reason for the lack of blog activity, though. There's just not that much to blog! It's basically the home/work/church/therapy routine. Not much there.
Therapy has been progressing well. Like I said before, I'm down to just Monday and Thursday, and Gabe seems to think that a couple more weeks, by the end of the month at the latest, and I'll be at least good enough to get out of there. There is still a slight wobble in my left hip that he's a little concerned about, but on the whole, things are going quite well.
We've got the 50th anniversary at church this Sunday. We have a former pastor (who is now a district superintendent) coming back to give the message and a picnic following on the church lawn with hotdogs and hamburgers. It should be a great time, seeing old faces and just generally having a great time recognizing the milestone.
Cards are playing pretty well. They are leading the NL Central by 5 games and have the second best record in baseball. All positive, especially when Albert Pujols has reach an entirely new level in his play. Pujols's dominance may be overshadowing some significant problems, though. Jim Edmonds is likely to go on the DL today, which is an issue for the offense and the defense. Edmonds hasn't been that strong this year even when he's been healthy, but at the very least he has a little fear factor going due to his history. The outfield replacements are good bench guys, maybe OK starters, but with the outfield already being a weak spot (Juan Encarnacion is improving, but still not all that great), this is going to really hurt, especially when you combine that with the fact that Yadier Molina still can't hit over .200.
There has been some talk (at least on fan sites) about trading Mark Mulder for Bobby Abreu. I think I could get behind that, especially if the brass doesn't think there is much chance of resigning Mulder in the off-season. Abreu would look very good in the #2 hole in front of Pujols, and Anthony Reyes could step in for Mulder in the rotation.
The Cards get to beat up on--umm, I mean, play--their biggest rivals this weekend. The Cubs haven't done much since they lost Derrick Lee, so hopefully the Cards will continue their misery. Have fun watching this weekend, Ken and Jason!
As for my main fantasy team, I shook it up a little bit by trading Jason Bay and Ben Sheets for Roy Oswalt and Kevin Mench. Bay then was scorching for the rest of the week that I had him. Hopefully he got it all out of his system before he hit Andy's team. Many of my disabled pitchers will be coming back in the next week or so, so that could give me a boost. I had moved all the way up to a 2nd place tie one day last week, but I'm sitting more around 5th right now. Still, that's much better than where I was and has cooled talk of me blowing the whole thing up.
Benjamin is doing well. His favorite words right now are "ball" and "bat", so you can't argue there, and he'll usually stop (for a moment, at least) if there is a ball game or even a commercial for an upcoming game on the TV. Now if we could just convince him that not every toy is a ball made for throwing...... I'll probably be taking care of him tomorrow while the wife goes to a 12-hour scrapbooking crop. I don't know if she'll survive the whole 12 hours, but she should have a lot of fun regardless.
Poker night tonight, but I think I'm going to skip this one. I've played a few extra games (including Ladies' Night) recently and a look at my bank account says the wallet and I need a break. I'll probably return for the game on the 16th, though I'm toying with the idea of just going to be a dealer, see if I can put that wise philosopher's advice to work: "You can observe a lot by watching."
Finally got the see the season finales of 24 and Lost. Actually, I saw 24 not too long after it aired. A good episode and really set up next season with Jack taking the slow boat to China. The producers have already said next year won't take place in China, so it'll be interesting to see how it does start.
Lost was a different story. I taped from 7-9 here since it was a two-hour finale. 'Course come to find out the two or three days afterwards, when we sat down to watch it, that it had aired from 8-10. I finally wound up buying it on iTunes, but then it wouldn't download with the virus software we have on the computer here. My brother finally got it downloaded on to his computer and made a disc for us to watch, which we did last night. It was a pretty decent finale and it'll be interesting to see how Season 3 builds off of it. I don't think anyone died in the episode, though some fates are still up in the air. It'll be a while until September, and with their new scheduling for next year, the November break will be a killer.
For not much going on, this turned it a pretty lengthy entry. Hope everyone has a great weekend and I'll try to update sooner than two weeks!
stayin alive
12 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment