Another week, and thankfully the progress continues to build. On the arms side, the grip and pinch strengths continue to build, though at least the grip strength is still way below normal. (Mine is running around 30 pounds, average is closer to 105.) Still, I think the arms, hands, etc. are probably about 90% or so of what they were pre-GBS. In other words, if nothing else improved, I could live with that, I think.
The legs are coming around as well. The right knee has gotten to where it locks pretty well. The left one is continually improving. It kicks and holds to a 32-35 degree angle, where 90 is straight down and 0 is straight across. We're working toward 0, of course, but the right one is around 15-18 and it looks about as straight as it's going to get, so the left may get to the same level and max out.
We're practicing standing as well. Yesterday, with my wheelchair between the parallel bars and with the therapist holding the knees, I was able to stand up under my own power, which is something we weren't able to do just a week or so ago.
Then today, we took a few steps. Granted, it was a very controlled environment, with someone pushing the walker out, the therapist holding the left knee so it wouldn't buckle, and my friend Jim trailing behind with the wheelchair for security, but we did walk three times, each time going a little farther.
There is still quite a way to go, of course. I'm still thinking that it might be a month before I get out. However, it seems like we can see faintly the light at the end of the tunnel, which helps keep the spirits up and puts me in quite a good mood.
Meron and Benjamin are up in Ohio now. They arrived safely Wednesday after Benjamin's first plane rides. The first one scared him a bit, as he clung to his mother about as tightly as humanly possible. Apparently he either got worn out or relaxed some, because he slept through the second one. They've visited Meron's Columbus friends and headed down today to spend the week with family. They'll be back here a week from Monday--who knows what condition I'll be in by then!
I'm going to get out of here this weekend. Sunday, the church is having a Mardi Gras party, so my mom is going to come get me a couple of hours beforehand, take me to visit my dog Dax, run out to Hastings to pick out some books, and then take me to the party. I've been in here over a month (this is actually the end of my fifth week) so I think it's a well deserved outing. Hopefully it will all go smoothly and it will be a fun time.
All in all, things are doing well. So ready for some baseball. I'm probably going to wake up early for that 1 AM opening game of the World Baseball Classic next week. I need my fix!
stayin alive
12 years ago


2 comments:
Glad to see you're improving, C. It's really good news.
Daniel,
I am so sorry to hear about all that you have been through. I must say that I am very behind. I dod not know that you were going through all of this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Hope things continue to get better. *Hugs*
Tylana
Post a Comment