Last night, however, the most noticeable change was brought up. The whole theme (that, honestly, has been a little overdone in the last couple of years) has been the story of the woman at the well and Christ’s answer of “living water”. So, in this original vision plan, there was a point to change the name from Wesley UMC to Wellspring UMC.
If this were politics and I were even more cynical than I am, I’d think that this point was put in there to get everyone worked up and distracted from the other changes. It definitely was the point that people latched on to at the time. So much so that I thought the idea had been put to rest.
Then, two months ago, it was noted that the vision plan said this had to be addressed in the first quarter. That immediately started my mind working on various arguments against the idea.
That’s the way I work. If you get me interested in something, I’ll beat the thing to death looking for all the various angles. Want me to start a rotisserie league? I’ll try to figure out as many bells and whistles as possible. Some statistical work done? I’ll work and work trying to find as many useful stats as possible. And when you get me worked up on a topic, I’ll obsess over it figuring out as many points as possible.
Anyway, as I said the topic was broached last night. Pretty much as soon as it was put out there, I suggested it be removed from the plan completely. Discussion followed, but I (and everyone else) was spared my litany of points against by a respected member of the church, who was also on the vision team, saying that the idea was “too divisive” and should be dropped in the interests of church harmony.
Which pretty much wrapped it up, thankfully. Because while I had a long list of things I could go through, I’m much better at arguing in writing than I am in person.
Enough of that. What else is happening around here?
After the large snow of last Tuesday, we were supposed to get another foot on Thursday. But while it snowed for a long time, it never dropped below freezing so the roads stayed clear and we only got another 2-4 inches on the grass. Which was nice, but not really worth getting out in.
Now that we’ve gotten our snow out of the way, it’s time for spring. It’s supposed to be 75 today and, with the new extended sunshine in the evenings, it’s really getting me ready for baseball season.
Played cards on Friday night and was able to squeeze out a third-place showing. With only 7 of us showing up, you’d think that we might get done early, but it was 12:30 before I was knocked out. I don’t remember too many impressive hands for me in the game, but I do remember the one that got away.
It’s down to four. Russell goes all in, which has me thinking that I’m going to push as well, because I’m looking at A-9 of spades. Ben acts next, though, and goes all in as well. So I have to rethink. Being on the bubble of the payout slots, I look at this hand and see that either one of these guys is going to go out or one is going to be very crippled. With a drawing hand like that, I decide to fold and see what happens. Of course, the flush comes on the river, meaning I could have set myself up well to make heads-up.
The church BBQ planning is getting underway. BBQ day is like my favorite non-holiday on the calendar. I get there around 7 and don’t leave until around 8 that night. I spend all day around the pits, turning the chickens and getting them sauced, and then that evening I take tickets for people that decide to eat indoors. It’s a hot and exhausting day, but it’s a blast. This year I’m kind of in charge of the planning phase (that whole organizational streak that I have popping up again), so hopefully we can get everything taken care of and have a smooth barbeque. And if you are up Russellville way May 2nd, come over and get some chicken!
My long-time keeper league draft is just under three weeks away. This year, I think we’ll have quite a large number of the owners actually drafting in person rather than via computer, so it should be a blast. I like my keepers and I think I should have a competitive team, assuming Albert Pujols doesn’t go down with an elbow injury.
The kids are doing well. Occasionally Sarah lets go of something while she’s cruising and stands for a split-second, so perhaps walking isn’t too far away. Of course, I know how hard it is to figure out that whole balance thing needed for standing.
Benjamin is alternately great fun and a handful, possibly within the same hour. He seems excited about baseball season coming back. I got him a book about Cardinal history designed for young kids and we have a good time reading that before bed.
That’s probably a long enough ramble. I’ll write more later!


No comments:
Post a Comment