Monday, August 15, 2005

Not What I Wanted

Given the choice between the Cardinals winning the World Series and beating the Cubs every time out, obviously I’d take the Series. However, that didn’t make losing 3 of 4 to the little bears this weekend any more palatable. It’s easy enough to say that the Memphis team was out there, but still, a split would have been nice.

Watched some of last night’s game, enough to be frustrated. The Cards get down 3-1 to Mark Prior and then come back and tie it up against him in the 6th, thanks to a questionable decision by Cubs third baseman Aramis Ramirez, who tried for the touch-third-and-throw-to-first double play instead of the 5-4-3, which looked easier. The runner was safe at first and the tying run scored.

However, Matt Morris went back out there and gave up 2 runs while only getting one out. That sealed the game, though the Cards got one in the ninth and had a runner on 2nd with 2 outs and Pujols up, but the man seems to have some Cubitis. It was the third time this year that he’d ended a game against Chicago by making the last out when there was a runner on.

The Cards have a needed day off tonight and then host Arizona starting tomorrow evening. Hopefully the offense can get on track. There is talk that Larry Walker could be back by this weekend and Yadier Molina not far behind, so that’s a hopeful sign.

Apparently I’m watching too much Law & Order. I started watching it probably a couple of months ago on TNT. They run at least one a day, and I try to catch some of it. I wasn’t sure if I’d like it, but being that I was a fan of Perry Mason and other legal thrillers, I thought I’d check it out and got hooked. As I noted in another entry, I got the first season on DVD for my birthday, and I’ve gone through 8-9 episodes of that as well.

Anyway, I’ve noticed recently that when the show comes on and they say the intro about cops and prosecutors and “these are their stories,” Benjamin seems to be fascinated by the TV. And when they do the theme song, he bounces and won’t take his eyes off the TV. I was in the kitchen for the beginning of one episode, and he was watching me at the baby gate. When the music kicked on, he crawled away from the gate so he could see the TV. I even hunted up a CD with theme songs from the ‘80s and ‘90s, and L&O was on there. We played it in the CD player and he just grinned. He’s an amazing kid, there’s no doubt about it.

Not much happened this weekend. We were the “babysitters” for our church’s Parents Night Out. All the parents with kids take turns watching all the kids once a month so the other parents can go out to dinner, a movie, etc. The kids weren’t too bad, though I was a bit on the tired side and probably was a little less patient with them than I should have been. We’re done for the year, so now we can just go and drop Benjamin off next month.

TV Land ran a Night Court marathon this weekend, which I wound up watching way too much of. Of course, I’d seen Night Court, but not a lot of them. It holds up pretty well, especially since it’s been 20 years since the first season and over 10 since the last.

Enough for now. More tomorrow, unless you are really lucky!

No comments: