Thursday, August 04, 2005

An Anxiously Awaited Debut

A couple of weeks ago, I made a deal with Chad in our rotisserie league that, as a side benefit, brought me the rights to a pitcher named Felix Hernandez. Most of the prospect rankings around the Net have him as either #1 or #2, and if there is anything that can be said of my rotisserie tendencies, it's that I love the young pitchers. Hernandez was in the minors at the time, which didn't bother me since I had all starters and no one was catching me in categories like wins and strikeouts, anyway.

However, Hernandez will make his major league debut today, in just a few minutes in fact. I am quite excited to see what he'll do. There have been a lot of people raving over him, so if he's as good as they say, I'll have me a keeper for the next 10 years or so. Which will make the loss of Jake Peavy (who went in that trade) a little easier to take.

Played poker last night. Turned out to be more like our tournament game with a ton of chips to start with ($1.5 million!) but faster blinds. I was actually pretty lucky most of the night, catching a straight and a flush and winning a couple of hands I had no business staying in on. Luck ran out later in the evening, though, when I went all-in and looked good with my two pair--until Ken got a straight with the river card. Painful! Plus I was in trouble at home since we went later than I had said, so Wednesday night poker may be a very rare occurance.

Don't know if I'll get to blogging tomorrow or not. My wife is having an open house Saturday to help sell some of her Tastefully Simple products, and I'll be helping getting the house in order, etc. for that. My friend Robert is coming in this weekend as well, which will be great because it's been a while since he's made the trip up from Texas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'mon, C70...you can't miss the Braves series this weekend. Your wife should know by now that the Cards take precedence... ;-)

Cardinal70 said...

Well, she does know that the Cards are high up there. But I don't have to live with them--I do have to live with her. ;)