Friday, April 11, 2008

Lasterday (Illustrated)

Lasterday.

It's one of Benjamin's words. It can mean yesterday, it can mean last week, it can mean last year. Occasionally, it can even mean next week, though not very often. When you think about it, it's a very convenient word, especially when you aren't sure when something happened. "When did you go to the store?" "Umm, well, lasterday."

Anyway, I told you that story to tell you this one. Or, more accurately, to set up a general hodge-podge post of stuff that has happened "lasterday."

Sarah's gotten down some very cute mannerisms. She goes "uh-oh" and usually emphasizes this by putting her hands in the air. You can kind of see it here, but I really need to get some sort of video recorder and upload her doing it for the full effect.

She also has gotten into wrinkling her nose when she's very mad or laughing. Meron calls her "our little Bajoran" occasionally. You can kind of see it in this picture.

I expected to have a lot of funny, if slightly harrowing, stories to put into a blog post. Meron went last weekend to Women of Faith down in Little Rock. She left Friday afternoon and stayed until Saturday afternoon. Last year, it wasn't a problem. In fact, I got some stuff done while Benjamin spent some of the afternoon out with his grandparents. This year, though, it was going to be my first time to have both the kids for an extended period of time by myself. If television has taught us anything, this is when hilarity ensues.

However, it was pretty mundane. Kids got fed and put to bed, then we played most of Saturday when we weren't taking a nap. Sorry to deprive you of some humor, but that's the way it goes. It was pretty fun, all in all.

Most of you know about all the storms that have been hitting Arkansas. Since the beginning of February, it seems like every week has been something, whether tornadoes, record snows, or massive flooding. While Russellville hasn't had too many problems, we did get a little storm damage one night.

It was a Monday evening and the winds blew and the thunderstorm rolled through. The next morning, when I let the dog out into the backyard, I was pretty surprised to see this:

A huge tree branch down in the backyard, and a gap where it hit the fence. I wasn't sure that Dax could get through that hole in the fence, but after I saw her trying to I went ahead and put the boards around the bottom and through the hole. The fence slat had only fallen on the other side, so it shouldn't be too hard to put back on, assuming I can ever figure out what to do with the branch.

Didn't play cards last time due to Meron being gone and may miss the next one as well. As you can see on the left, it's almost time for church softball. I don't have a schedule yet, just the date and time for the first game, which is on a Friday cards are scheduled for. Still, I'm ready to get out and swing the bat. We've got a practice planned for Sunday afternoon, which should be fun.

That's probably about all that's going on around here. Tax season is just about over, which is nice. It'll be good to be home at 5 every day. The chicken BBQ is coming up on May 2, which I'm excited about as well since we've built a new pit at the church and that should be its first real use.

I'll close with this good picture of Sarah. Hope you enjoy!

No comments: