Monday, April 21, 2008

A Busy Friday

Not just a whole lot has happened around here in the last week. Tax season wrapped up, which means I get home at 5 now instead of 6. That's always good, especially on Mondays when I have Promise Keepers at 8. We've spent time out on the swingset. Meron got to sleep in Saturday since I was home and not at work, and I spent most of Saturday afternoon napping recouping from Friday.

Friday was a fairly busy evening. Our first church softball game of the season was at 7:30 and it was a poker weekend as well. Combining the two made for a long, but fun, day.

First off, softball. We had a big practice on Sunday the 13th, with 18 people braving the unseasonably cold and windy day to get in some fielding and hitting. We have around 22 people on the roster, so playing shorthanded shouldn't be much of a problem. For the game we had 13 people dressed for the game and a couple more showed up late and just watched.

The season started off well, as Jon, our second batter, took a walk and wound up scoring on Kevin's single three batters later. Wesley was up 1-0 after one and feeling pretty good.

Until the first batter of the bottom of the first poked a triple that turned into a score when the throw in went over the catcher's head. The next guy tripled as well and scored later. It held there, but 2-1 grew to 13-1 by the end of the fourth inning and the game was called by run rule after we batted in the top of the fifth.

Personally, I wound up 0-2. The first at bat, I smoked a shot right down the line. If the third baseman is playing off a little more, that's a double even with my speed, maybe more. However, he wasn't and it popped right into his glove.

The second at-bat wasn't effective either. After lunging and totally missing a pitch, I wound up hitting a grounder to the left side. The runner on first was forced at second, but I beat out the potential double play. However, the next batter got out and that was the ball game.

I left there and headed over to the poker game. Since three of us were doing the same doubleheader, they delayed the game a bit and we hadn't missed much. I played a strong hand most of the night, though not as aggressively as I should have. Twice I looked down at Ace-paint after two others had gone all in and decided not to try to race and both times I would have won. The third time, it was A-10 suited and I went for it and was able to knock out Joe.

So I headed into the final four with a decent chip stack, but it quickly evaporated. I bet hard on a pair of pocket fives, but Jon had pocket 10s and that crippled me. After that, the blinds seemed to take me down and I finally went out on the bubble.

Which meant that I didn't get home until 1:30 and had nothing to show for it. The kids then got up around 7:30 or so on Saturday morning, which meant I was up with them. It's no wonder I took about a three hour nap Saturday afternoon!

The church's annual BBQ is coming up on May 2nd. I've been in charge of organizing it this year and I hope that all the details are worked out. The new pit is looking wonderful and it should be a lot of fun having everyone together this year, rather than at two different pits across town.

There's a softball game that night as well. I originally wasn't going to go to it, but Bobby, the head coach, isn't going to be there either, so I may try to do it. That means getting up at 5:30 or so in the morning to get to the BBQ and getting home around 10 that night after the game. If I had some sort of portable device, I'd do a live blog of my day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you would have bet, you would have won... Grasshopper, how many times do I have to pound this into your skull?