I go down to the lobby. Let me tell you, I felt quite underdressed in shorts and a Cardinal shirt, sweating profusely, walking into that place. Of course, I get to the front desk and they need a credit card, even though the room is paid for already, for incidentals. Somehow, the card has been left in the van. So back up to the parking deck, where I had left the family. After we get that straightened out, we find out our room is on the eighth floor. The van is on the third, just for reference.
We get to the room and are pleasantly surprised with how big it is. No view, but that was OK. A king-sized bed, a chair and a small couch with plenty of room to move around. Which is good, because I have to make three or four trips back to the van to get everything out of it that we are going to need.
After I do that, Benjamin and I take off. I've been in touch with my friend David, known as Oberkfell3B on the Clubhouse boards. He and his family are going to meet us at the Cardinal team store and Benjamin and I are going to take the Metrolink there. I figure Benjamin will enjoy it, being that it's basically a train and all.
It's only after I get to the Metrolink station catty-corner to the hotel that I realize I have no clue what I am doing. I've never taken public transportation alone in my life. After going down to the train platform, I realize that I've missed the ticket machine, so we go back up and get tickets. Then, back to the platform.
On the platform, there are two tracks. For two trains. Which run in completely opposite directions, of course. I finally ask a lady there which one I need to be on to head toward the stadium. I'm not sure she was a local, but she pointed me in the right direction. When the train pulled up, we got on (though couldn't find anyone to give my ticket to) and headed down to the new Busch Stadium.
We got off at the stadium stop, crossed the street, and there it was. After seeing it so many times in pictures and on TV, it was great to actually be there. We stopped at the Musial statue, of course, and called David to make sure that the team store was where I thought it was. We were within sight of the place, so we went on around the corner and went in.
After meeting David, his wife and kids, Benjamin and I looked around and basically went nuts. I wound up with an Adam Wainwright T-shirt, Sarah got a Cardinal dress she can wear next year, Meron got a pen (hey, it was hard to find her something!) and Benjamin cleaned up with a Scott Rolen banner, a Rolen T-shirt, and a new Cardinal hat.
When we came out, we took some pictures of the other statues around the park. I've taken some before when I've been up there, but it was neat to get them with Benjamin.
This isn't the best picture of him (he's doing his "shy routine" where he puts his hands in front of his eyes like he's tired) but he is in front of Ozzie Smith, who was my favorite player growing up, so I had to use this one.Loaded down with Cardinal goodies, we now made the trek to the Gateway Arch. I'm not sure David thought we were going to walk down there, but being that Benjamin had no car seat with us, there really wasn't much option. He was gracious enough to walk with us and sent his family in the car to meet us down there. We walked the 5-6 blocks, me with Benjamin perched on his shoulders, until we reached the riverfront and the monument.
The last time I went to see the Arch was probably about 20 years ago. Like Benjamin said, "It's big!" He didn't really want to have much to do with it after we saw it. I finally got him to touch it and pose for a couple of pictures.
I remember my first trip going and realizing that the base "block", if you will, was taller than I was. I'm not much taller than that base section now! Benjamin still says "We saw that" when the Arch comes on TV, so I think he enjoyed going as well.We walked with David over toward the Arch Metrolink station, then got on the train (again, no one took the ticket--why didn't anyone tell me you could just ride for free!) and made it back to the hotel with most of the day done, but still one more activity to go: the Grizzlies game.


1 comment:
It was my pleasure to walk with you guys. It was not a problem. Hope to see you here for a game, or two, next season. Oh ya, and Poker !!!!!
Post a Comment