Monday, February 12, 2007

Those Sweet Words

I just have to hear
Those sweet words
Spoken like a melody
--Norah Jones, "Those Sweet Words"

This week brings us a holiday of great importance. A chance to renew those feelings inside of you, perhaps buried by the winter cold. It can make you giddy, it can make you dream of better days. Yes, it's time for those sweet words. "Pitchers and catchers report."

Thursday, we'll start seeing our first highlights of pitchers stretching and throwing. We'll have the Tigers pitchers doing the most watched PFP (pitchers' fielding practice) in the history of the sport, after their showing in the World Series. And, for the first time, we'll have the defending champion St. Louis Cardinals start to take the field. Though you have to like Tony LaRussa's attitude about that.

"We aren't defending anything," he said. "We are hunting for the '07 championship."

There's some good work at Viva El Birdos today about the chances of a rebound, at least in overall wins, for the Cardinals in 2007. I think they'll probably try to add a pitcher during spring training but even if they don't, this staff has to be better than last year's version. Just having Jason Marquis in Chicago should be good for 2-3 more wins.

The excitement is building. April 1, Opening Night Baseball on ESPN, Cards vs. Mets. Can't wait!

Everything else is going well here. We really are making progress on a name for the new baby, I think. Meron keeps trying one out, but I think she's a bit afraid to make it definite in case she changes her mind. But as unlikely as it is that we'd find another name that we both agreed on, this is probably it. However, I can't say what it is yet, obviously. Gotta wait on permission, as any of you married guys (and especially ones that have gone through this process) can attest.

It was great to see Lost back on the screen last week. Nice flashback, kinda got things kicked off again. I'm very glad that there are no more repeats or gaps for the rest of the year. With it and 24 new every week (including tonight's 2-hour 24!) it keeps things entertaining. Assuming I can keep up with it!

Benjamin is doing great. We went to lunch at Stoby's again, because he loves the train theme. We were lucky enough to get there right as a train was going by (Stoby's sits basically right on the tracks), so we stood outside as close as we could and watched it go by, which was a lot of fun. He'll be getting a new Thomas piece for Valentine's Day, so I know he'll have fun with it.

That's about it here. Acutally didn't get to play poker last week, which was probably for the best. I'll miss the next one as well (it's on Meron's birthday) so it'll be a pretty long break for me. Hope the break helps! Church meetings this week, with Promise Keepers tonight and others on Tuesday and Thursday, so it'll be a busy week there.

Hope you have a great beginning of baseball season week!

No comments: