Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Softball Thrills

OK, here's our first attempt at the daily blogging of December. When we left off, softball was the main topic. So, to segue, I want to talk about the last few games of our softball season. While the details are rusty now, since I've slept a couple times since then, the basic narrative can be related.

The last four games of our softball season provided more intrigue and more excitement than most of the rest of the season combined. For example, the first of that stretch, Off-Road Tire got down early, but continued to battle back. If I remember correctly, this game I started out on the bench, only to come in late when we had rallied to make the game 15-12 and the bases were loaded. I didn't help the cause out there, but we were able to keep it close.

We were the road team, so after the other team batted in the bottom of the fifth, we had less than a minute to run off the field and get a hitter into the batter's box before the game would be called due to the hour time limit. We trailed by four or five, but we hurried around and Jon stepped in with about seven seconds left in the game. If nothing else, it gave us a few more at-bats, right?

However, the great thing about baseball and softball is that, if you keep hitting, you keep playing. We continued putting hits together and finally wiped out the lead, taking a one run edge into the bottom of the last inning. All we had to do was hold them.

I believe we even got the first out, maybe the first two outs, but the other team wasn't to be denied, scoring twice to take the game. However, it was an effort that we were very proud of--and one that set the tone for games to come.

The next game didn't start off well, as we were the home team and down 9-0 before we even got a chance to bat. Again, though, we chipped away and chipped away, scoring more runs than the other team in most innings.

Finally, we got to the bottom of the last inning, we trailed by just a couple of runs. However, this time, we made the comeback complete, scoring with two outs to take our first win since the third game of the season.

I missed the next game, but it was the opposite of these, it sounded like. We were the team that jumped out to the early lead. We were the team that had it in our grasp. And we were the team that saw them score six in the bottom of the last to take the win away from us.

The last game of the season also started bad. Gary was our emergency fill-in and wasn't able to get the ball over the plate. He walked in three or four runs in route to the other team getting up 11-0 before we took our cracks. Thankfully, though, the other pitcher was about as bad, walking in a couple of runs and letting us score seven right back. After the first, Joe came in to pitch and limited the damage, while we again began chipping away.

The final inning, we tied it up and had runners everywhere with one out. I was on second after a single, I believe. I still remember seeing the ball being hit right between second and third, skipping on into the outfield. I clapped my hands together as I ran to third, not only excited that we won, but as always glad that it had been a tie game and not a one-run deficit, so I didn't have to try to beat a throw home.

Yes, I know, this doesn't have the punch or panache that it would have if I had come and done it right after the game, describing the action much more thoroughly and letting the tension build. Hopefully most of the details are right, though I don't swear to anything. I'll try for better when church league rolls around in April!

No comments: