Today, Meron went to see the new Twilight movie this afternoon and then had a dinner with her mom's group this evening, so it was "Daddy-kids day." Didn't seem to bother the kids any, and I was always up for it.
While Meron was at the movie, there wasn't much going on. Sarah went down for her nap and I let Benjamin play a few games on the internet at PBS Kids while I did the dishes. After I got done with that, I sat down to play the Star Wars Lego game that is on the Lego site, with Benjamin watching and cheering. It's a little advanced for him to actually play it, but he enjoys seeing it and seeing what happens.
Sarah woke up around 3 and we got a snack, but it wasn't too long after that when Meron got back from the show.
While she was at home, I wanted to get this arch up that was still missing from our Christmas decorations. A few years back, we bought this arch and lights set after Christmas and we've enjoyed putting it up since then. It came with greenery as well as zip ties to put it on, but after the first year, when we had to cut the zip ties off at the end of the season, we've just attached the lights on it.
I went out to get the pieces out of the garage, but it was freezing cold outside (at least to my point of view) and the metal was cold from sitting out in the garage, so I brought everything in. Of course, that meant Benjamin especially (though Sarah also tried) had to help put it together. Benjamin did OK, though I found out when I was outside that I had to undo and reverse most of what he had done.
So we get out, fuss with the arch in the cold and occasional drizzle. Sarah comes out for a few minutes, but her and Meron quickly return inside. Benjamin, however, stays out with me, though he spent more of his time running around the yard rather than helping me out. He would hold things when I asked him to, though, so you can't fault him.
This year, after I got the lights attached to the metal frame, I decided to run some more lights through them. We had a set of red and green C9 lights that we hadn't used yet, so I ran those through the frame as well. It turned out fairly well, though I didn't even out the lights when I sent them through, so one side is heavy with them.
It was about 5:30 when I finished that up. I was going to run another strand of 100 multi lights through it, but I didn't have time and Meron thought that'd be too much. (I, on the other hand, have never seen "too much" when it comes to Christmas lights.)
After I came in and changed clothes, Meron left and I took the kids out to K-Mart for a couple of things (this time of year, it's much better to brave K-Mart than Wal-Mart) and then we grabbed a pizza and came home. It may not have been the most exciting of days with the dad, but I didn't hear a lot of complaining. (That'll be when they are a few years older, I figure!)


No comments:
Post a Comment