Monday, September 21, 2009

Royally Speaking

Didn't do much this weekend save a fair adventure that will wait until I can put pictures up, but Saturday evening I went out and played cards. It was a pretty wild night, all in all.

Flushes seemed to be out in force. I lost a good number of chips when I looked down at ace-king, bet, caught an ace on the flop, bet big again, caught a king on the turn and bet big again. The problem was, Russell kept calling the bets. Which, since there were two spades on the board, made me think that he was looking for a flush. Sure enough, a spade came down on the river. I can't remember if he checked or if I folded after a bet, but either way, that's what he had.

I was able to turn the tables on Buffalo Joe later on, though. I started with pocket aces that hand and was able to catch the flush on the river. He wasn't real thrilled about that one, but since he eventually won the whole thing, he got over it.

The best hand of the night, though, was also against Joe. I had queen-jack of clubs in my hand. The flop comes out with a king and a ten of clubs on the board. (IIRC, the other card was a club as well, giving me the flush on the flop.) Joe bet and I called, hoping against hope for......

.....there it was! The ace of clubs came down on the turn. I bet, Joe folded his pocket tens, but I still had to turn over the royal flush. It was the first official royal that we've had in PPT history, though Bobby caught one in one of the now-defunct ring games that used to be held.

However, live by the flush, die by the flush. My final hand, Russell moved me all in after the flop. I had two spades in my hand and two more were on the board, plus I had a middle pair to go with it. Deciding to die quickly than to limp into oblivion, I made the call, but the other spade just wouldn't fall.

All in all, it was a good night for poker. I'll miss the next one, but hopefully I can keep it up the next time I'm out at The Shed.

No comments: