Monday, August 24, 2009

Week In Review

Not a lot has happened since the last softball game, but I thought I'd catch you up anyway.

We played softball again on Thursday night. It rained all morning long, torrential downpours at times. It really seemed like there was no way this game was getting in. However, the rain stopped about 2:30, which was enough time for the fields to dry up some and to get the game in. It was still a muddy infield, but it wasn't extremely sloppy.

I don't know if it was something about the field, though, or some way the opposing pitcher was throwing, or exactly what, but the bats were very quiet in our last outing. We'd get a couple of guys on and hit into a double play. Grounders didn't get through the infield at all and they were very sure-handed in their play for the most part. Russell was the only person with two hits, I believe, and while one was a solid single that plated our only run, the other was a dying quail that landed just outside the infield in no man's land.

We hung with the other team for a while, putting our own zeros on the board, but things finally unraveled and we wound up losing via the mercy rule when they got up 10 runs in the fifth inning. After our first outing being so successful, it was kind of a shock to see how things dropped off.

I came into catch for the bottom of the fifth, so I was in for about 4 batters before the game was over. Obviously, no at-bats in this one, so that 1.000 average is still there.

The next game is tonight, but I'll miss that due to my weekly Promise Keepers meeting. If you want to keep track, the schedule is now on the left-hand side and you can find the standings here.

Before the game on Thursday, we went to the open house at TLC, where Benjamin and Sarah go twice a week. This is the last year that Benjamin will go, as he'll start kindergarten next fall. (This can't be possible and I am blocking it out of my mind now.) Both of them got to see their classrooms, meet their teachers, and generally remember where the place was. I think they'll do OK. Benjamin has a couple of friends in his class and I think Sarah will warm up to everyone after a while.

Played poker Friday night. Well, I showed up for a couple of hours. It was the worst game I've played in years. I was out by 10:00, which is bad when the game starts at 8. It was only the second time in the 2+ years we've been keeping stats that I've gone out first. After my recent winning streak, it figures I'd bottom out, if only to fulfill the law of averages.

The second campus of Wesley UMC started up this weekend. Sounds like it was a fairly good success, at least with the number of people that showed up. I'm still trying to get used to our traditional service at 9 and and our Sunday School at 10 instead of the other way around. Leaving church at 11 really throws off the day!

That's really about it from this neck of the woods. Hope things are good where you are!

No comments: