Monday, January 07, 2008

Pre-Christmas Fun

I keep thinking that I’ll get around to blogging and putting the pictures in, but apparently that’s not happening, at least for a while. I’ll go back and drop some pictures in sometime soon, but before it gets really away from me, let me try to catch up on what we’ve been doing, starting with the time period between the Shootout and Christmas Day.

On December 18, Meron and I celebrated our 8th anniversary. Well, that was our anniversary date, but we didn’t do much together due to a special guest at the house. Santa Claus made a checkup visit to see if Benjamin was behaving himself. And, since the word got around that Santa was coming, we had 4-5 different kids there waiting to see him.

Benjamin did much better with Santa this year. He was still shy and took a while for him to say anything to him, but at least he didn’t break down into tears like he did last year. Sarah didn’t know quite what to do, save spit up on Santa’s nice gloves. At least she missed the suit, especially since Santa had another stop that evening!

The next evening, Meron and I left the kids with my mom and went to a new restaurant in town, A Taste of Italy. It’s a refurbished house with a nice atmosphere. The room we were in was lit only by candles and a small lamp. The waiter walked around with a pepper grinder, something I wasn’t used to but enjoyed seeing.

We’d been told that the service was lacking and that it took a while because the cook fixed all the food fresh. However, we got there as they were opening for the dinner crowd so we were the first served and everything came quickly. The food was pretty good, though it could have been better. We’ll probably give it another try sometime and see if other dishes are better.

That Saturday, we drove to my grandmother’s to celebrate Christmas with my mom’s side of the family. We listened to Christmas music via my XM radio all the way up there. (Benjamin especially got a kick out of The Chipmunk Song.) Since my grandmother gives us our money at Thanksgiving to buy our gifts, there wasn’t any surprise in what I got (books, DVD, jump drive) but it was nice all the same.

The next day, we had an open house for friends, especially our church friends. My parents used to do that every Christmas Eve and we have done it a couple of times as well. We thought this year we’d do it on the Sunday and see if the crowd was better. It seemed to be—we had 15-20 people coming and going. Most of Meron’s numerous cookies got eaten, which made her happy since she worked for three evenings getting them ready. (To be fair, she made 7 different types—it’s one of her favorite things to do during the season.)

Christmas Eve was a day off of work, so we went around and dropped off some cookies to various people before going to church service that evening.

That night, my son almost had a rude awakening. After apparently getting him down to sleep, I started digging out the packages for the tree and the stockings. I had just put everything out and taken a quick sip of milk when I hear him say, “Daddy!”

Thankfully, he was still in bed and hadn’t wandered out into the living room. I went and made sure he was down before doing anything more with Santa-related items!

Christmas and post-Christmas coming soon!

No comments: