Sunday, October 29, 2006

Wooo Pig Sooie!

OK, first of, likely, three posts today, since I've got a number of pictures to put up and the Cards deserve a post of their own, without question. So let's take the events in order, starting with last Saturday's trip up the hill to Fayetteville.

A week ago Friday night, I got a call from a member of our church who has season tickets to the Razorback games. He and his wife weren't feeling well and wanted to know if I wanted his tickets for the next day's game against Ole Miss. After consultations with The Powers That Be (the wife, who had been planning a scrapbooking day), I called him back and took the tickets. I wasn't able to find anyone else to go with me on short notice, though, and I wanted to leave my good car here in town so that Meron and Benjamin could go out if necessary (which it usually is with that kid!).

Enter Bobby and Elizabeth:

Bobby and Elizabeth are both members of our church and Bobby's one of the rounders at the PPT. I had called Bobby to see if he wanted the extra ticket. Turned out that they already had tickets to the game, but they said if I couldn't get anyone to go with me, to let them know and they'd let me ride with them. That's an offer I couldn't turn down, and we had a great time on the way up the mountain. (And, for those of you who know me well or are longtime readers, we didn't take the Pig Trail, and after I mentioned that I'd made it from Fayetteville to Russellville that way in under two hours, Bobby commented that "I don't want to ride with you." Yeah, like that's a short list.)

There was an accident that slowed traffic on our way and between that and where we had to park, we were still walking up to the stadium when the game started. It's been two years since I've been to a football game (and, since that one was in a skybox at the stadium, I was well and fully spoiled so it's a good thing there was a gap) and, being more of a baseball guy, I kinda forgot a basic rule: you don't know who is going to start off the game. Even in PlayStation, I always kick off first and let the other team start on offense. And, of course, in baseball the other team hits first.

So I wasn't quite prepared for the loud roar that went up as I was getting close to the gate I was supposed to go in through. Someone with a radio behind me, though, enlightened the rest of us trying to get in that the Hogs had run back the opening kickoff for a touchdown. Later on, that was named the Play of the Day on the Jumbotron. Always nice to know the game can only go downhill before you even get to your seats.

This is the view from the seats. Tenth row, just off the end zone. Close to concession stands, bathrooms, etc. Great place to watch a game or, in this case, more of an all in all beating.

This was just one of the many times the Razorbacks scored on Ole Miss's defense. The final wound up to be 38-3 and one touchdown was called back due to penalty, though I believe they scored on that drive anyway. The running backs, especially Darius McFadden, looked very good to this untrained eye and there were some nice passing moments as well.

The Hogs are having a great year, sitting on their 7-1 record and leading the SEC West. Tough games against South Carolina, Tennessee and LSU remain, but it's been a successful season already and I am glad that I got a chance to be a part of it.

No comments: