Friday, September 26, 2008

I've Got a Fever and the Only Cure Is More Softball

I know, there's an outraged cry of "more softball? No!!!!" right about now. Bear with me while I get the most recent game down and I'll see if I can't get around to talking about Benjamin and I at the Travelers' game next.

OK, softball Thursday night. It was against the team we beat earlier in the season, but we had exactly 11 this time and no idea how this game would turn out.

It wound up we really didn't have to worry. We batted first and put five on the board in the first inning and six in the second in route to run-ruling the team 17-2. They looked like our teams usually look--couldn't field, lots of bobbles and not much hitting. Our team, on the other hand, played fairly solid. Turned a few double plays (and were darn close to a couple more) and hit the ball pretty well.

I was in at DH for this game at the bottom of the lineup. The first time up, I led off the second inning. The guy threw two balls (leading to a 3-1 count) before I went and swung at what was probably ball four. It was a little tapper out in front of the plate and I knew I was doomed, but I ran as fast as I could (as they timed me with a sundial) toward first.

Their propensity toward misplays reared its head, though, as the pitcher threw it past the first baseman. I turned the corner and made it into second without difficulty. I moved over to third on a solid hit and scored the same way.

The next time up, I believe I swung at the first pitch and hit a fairly solid liner down toward third base. If the guy had been playing over a little more, I think it'd have gotten through for a double. However, Gary was in front of me, so I was almost sure I'd hit into a double play. Instead, they wound up throwing to first but, again, overthrew the first baseman, though I was almost there anyway.

This trip around the bases was an adventure. The next batter hit one that looked like it might be caught by either the outfielder rushing in or the infielders going out. When it dropped, I was only a few steps off the bag and taking off because I was sure I was going to be forced at second. That is, until I saw no one was covering the bag. That made it much easier to get in there.

Next batter hit one right to the shortstop, who had it hit off his glove and go right up in the air. I was running to third but was sure, again, that I'd be forced. Turns out that when the ball game down, the shortstop missed it again and so everyone was safe. Finally, a solid hit drove me and the runner on second in to score.

My third time up, I tried a new bat which felt very light. I was able to make good contact on the ball, but that just meant I flew out to left.

So 1-3 on the day leaves me at 6 for 13 on the season. .462 isn't too bad. We'll see if I can improve upon that on Monday!

No comments: